It can be very discouraging when you do a search for airfare and see nothing but expensive results that go beyond your budget. Even if you adjust the times a bit, there still might not be much of a difference. How do you go about getting a good deal? Where can you find cheap one way flights?
It’s not true that roundtrip airfare is always cheaper than one-way airfare. Even if you have to return, it might be cheaper to go purchase two one-way tickets. Due to factors such as new pricing methods and cancellation fees, flyers now have more flexibility when booking airfare.
Pricing always varies by airline, tourist season, holidays, and so forth. A few discount carriers like Frontier, Allegiant, JetBlue, Norwegian Air, Air Lingus, and Spirit are always worth looking into.
Here are a few other tips for finding cheap one way flights:
• Keep in mind that some days are cheaper to fly than others. Even if your dates are already set in stone and cannot be changed, you still might want to check out airfare for a day earlier than you are expected to arrive and sleep in a hostel or budget hotel.
• Consider mixing and matching airlines. Some discount travel sites offer a “mix and match” category that allows you to combine two one-way fares. There’s no rule that says you have to return with the same airline that you left with.
• Fly or drive to another airport. If it’s simply not possible to be flexible with the dates, try to be flexible with the airports. Check and see if there are other airports near the origin or destination. The more options you have, the more savings opportunities there might be. Or will it simply be cheaper to fly to another city and then flying to your destination city from there?
• No matter where you want to go or what dates you plan to travel on, always buy the fare in as early as advance as possible. Don’t put it off. While last-minute deals can sometimes be found, it’s not a good idea to risk it. On smaller carriers, it’s best to book no later than 7 days in advance. For the larger airlines, order at least two weeks in advance.
• Let technology do all the work for you. There are plenty of apps, tools, and aggregator search engine services dedicated to bring you the lowest prices on all aspects of travel. Let the tools search for cheap one way flights and send you an instant notification a good deal is made available that is within your budget range.
Online promo codes, apps, aggregated search tools, etc. all make finding cheap one way flights a simple process. You can easily find and receive flight options from literally hundreds of different airlines to thousands of destinations.